Jul 13, 2011

So the old house is down. Now what?

I wanted a home that was as functional as it was beautiful. We live on a farm and my husband is in construction.  Mud and other things come with the territory.   I loved the old farmhouse look.  Old homes have so much character.  We both wanted to create an upscaled farmhouse.  I found an exterior picture in Southern Living that Josh and I both loved.  
original.gif
Sketch of house in Southern Living (I moved the wing)

But the interior needed some adjusting.  So I photocopied it, put it on an over- head projector and traced the exterior walls.  Then re-drew the floor plan.  I thought I was being so crafty!  And because my family is in general construction, it for the most part, worked.  Let's just say, apparently I am no architect!  Thanks to a good friend who took the time to scale it out for us to make sure it could be done.  
My messy rendition of blueprints
Many times we had to step back make adjustment to to small details that would change big details.  And for the most part it is coming along beautifully.  It has, in ways, lost it's old school farmhouse touch and in others it has gained a unique new farm look. 
So we started...

Grandad's lil hod worker






No comments:

Post a Comment